Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Saturday 25 September 2010

Cute Young Grey Squirrels

I can never make up my mind whether I love or loathe grey squirrels. They drive me mad when they occasionally get past the squirrel baffle and wreck the feeders but I can enjoy their amusing antics in the garden and admire their problem solving skills.

Yesterday two young grey squirrels suddenly appeared in the garden and spent ages chasing each other round the lawn and hoovering up fallen seed from under the feeders.

They returned this morning and I decided to see if I could take some photos. When I first went out into the garden their initial response was to flee.



This one couldn't decide whether to flee or remain frozen to the spot in the hope I wouldn't see it!



After a few minutes they became used to my presence and allowed me to approach within a few metres without any sign of fear.

Young squirrel in "cute mode" eating whitebeam berries





At one stage I had two in the frame of my camera and as one playfully batted the other on the nose with its paw I tried to take the photo. For some reason the shutter refused to work and when I checked the camera I got the message "Card Full"!!! Drat! ( a polite version of the expletive I uttered!). It would have made a lovely photo too!

2 comments:

The Quacks of Life said...

ah, card full not good!

I like the pics and I like Grey Squirrels anyway! i'm a sucker for a bushy tail

Ragged Robin said...

This pair were particularly cute and we had three young ones yesterday. Glad you liked the pics. I have now deleted a great many photos on the card so hopefully I won't get caught out again!