Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Sunday 12 September 2010

Dahlias at Baddesley Clinton

I met up with a friend last Thursday and we decided to revisit Baddesley Clinton in the hope that the locally famous dahlia bed would be in full bloom.

First a few photos of the house, grounds and garden - not too many this time as I posted loads on my blog posting on Baddesley in July.

































We had a nice sandwich for lunch followed by a delicious slice of carrot cake - National Trust properties certainly know how to make cakes!

Apart from mallards there were few birds around and few butterflies which was surprising as it was warm and sunny following a heavy rain shower before we arrived.

The dahlia bed which covers almost the whole of one side of the walled garden was at its very best. I try and go each year to see it and it just gets better and better. I don't know why I like dahlias so much as I am usually not keen on "showy" flowers perhaps its because my dad and grandfather used to grow dahlias. I can remember being fascinated when I was little (many moons ago!) by the amount of earwings hiding in the pompom dahlias.

A word of warning - I have been very self-indulgent in the amount of dahlia photos so if you are not keen on them it may be best to skip the rest of the post!











































A lovely day out in great company.

2 comments:

Tricia Ryder said...

On a grey dull day such as it is here today, your wonderful pictures with so much colour really gladden the heart!

And the building with the moat - oooooh! very nice :D One day, I'll manage a visit - weather permitting :D

Ragged Robin said...

Thanks so much Tricia - so glad the photos brightened your day.

Packwood and Baddesley are both lovely - you must try and visit when you return to the Midlands and hopefully there will be less rain next time :D