Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Monday 22 November 2010

Theatre Trips and Stir-up Sunday

I will try and do a garden update later although to be honest there is so little to report I could have tagged it onto the end of this post!

I've been on several theatre trips in the last week or so and each was excellent in its own way.

First up was a trip to Birmingham Old Rep to see a stage adaptation of Philip Pulman's childrens' novel The Firework Maker's Daughter by the Birmingham Stage Company. I've seen productions of Skellig, George's Marvellous Medicine and Twelfth Night by this Company and all have been brilliant. This latest production didn't disappoint and was again excellent.

On Sunday, 14th November, we all went to see Lee Mack at Birmingham Symphony Hall. Least said about this the better really. Not that the warm up act and Lee Mack weren't good - they were both really funny. Its just that the seats were situated in what was grandly called the South Ledge, Grande Tier which meant they were very high up and you had to lean over a balcony to see the stage a long way below. For someone like me who hates heights it made for an uncomfortable two and a half hours!

Last Friday my son and I went off to Solihull to see The Wedding Singer, a musical comedy, at Solihull Arts Complex Theatre. This was another excellent production by St Augustines Musical Theatre Company. Before the play we had a meal at the Handmade Burger Company's restaurant. Everything from the burgers to chips to relishes is handmade here with a choice of over 40 burghers and it was great to find that there was a choice of 6 vegetarian options. The cheese patty with apple chutney, salad and mayo burger I had was delicious.

Yesterday was Stir-up Sunday, the day when Christmas Puddings are traditionally made. I normally have my Christmas puddings made by now but this year I have been trying to get hold of a mould which produces a round "cannon-ball" type pudding. I eventually tracked down a company on the internet which sells the mould but they don't seem exactly speedy in posting orders as I ordered it nearly 2 weeks ago and it still hasn't been posted! So I made the Christmas cake instead.










Not a very good picture of the finished cake as it looks burnt!

No comments: