Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Wednesday 9 February 2011

Quick trip to Brandon Marsh

It was a lovely, mild sunny day yesterday and, with the forecast not looking good for the rest of the week, I decided to pop over to Brandon Marsh for a couple of hours in the afternoon.

It seemed like everyone else had had the same idea because when I got there the car park was overflowing - I don't think I have ever seen it so busy!

Brandon Marsh NR is a Warwickshire Wildlife Trust Reserve covering about 92 hectares with a variety of habitats - pools, reedbeds, grassland and woodland.



Leaving the Visitor Centre behind me I headed first for Horsetail Glade where I had great views of a lesser spotted woodpecker a few winters ago. No sign of one today but there were plenty of blue, great and long-tailed tits.

I spent some time in the John Baldwin Hide overlooking East Marsh Pool and had fun practising with my new lens. Here's a few of the photos I took - some are not that sharp - but it was a good opportunity to get some more practice.

Drake Tufted Duck



These 3 Canada Geese seemed to be saying "What exactly are you looking at?!"



This drake Mallard was having a good scratch



I don't think I have ever seen so many Greylag Geese on the reserve - here's just two of them on a nearby island



A few more shots of Mallard





Tufted Duck



Another Mallard



There were hundreds of lapwings on Willow Island but unfortunately too far away to even attempt a photo.

I walked up to Carlton Hide which overlooks the Newlands Reedbeds hoping that there might be a bittern about - sadly no sign. In fact, the only birds were a couple of mallard and a moorhen.

I called in at East Marsh Hide but it was standing room only - most of the recent excellent bittern sightings have been seen from here. It didn't look as though anyone was going to vacate a seat in the near future so I didn't linger long!

The reserve was looking beautiful in the winter sunlight.



I paused by Grebe Pool hoping for a kingfisher and a couple of Canada Geese came over to say hello







I walked back to the car park via New Hare Covert and around the back of Grebe Pool. Highlights included a robin singing and male and female bullfinches.
A short-eared owl was seen several times over sheep field last year but I don't think it has been seen in 2011.

I dipped on the bittern (I think I'll try and persuade my husband to go to Ladywalk with me soon to try and see one - it might be quieter there!) and only managed to see 27 species but it was lovely walking on such a lovely day. 4 species were added to the year list - greylag goose, lapwing, teal and shoveler so I've managed to see over 50 now! ((I don't think I shall be breaking any records this year!!) I also added rabbit to the 2011 mammal list.

4 comments:

The Wessex Reiver said...

I've had many days like that, expectations high, weather good, and a lot of wildlife I'd expect to see in a location never materialise. 27 is a good count though. Keep going, 100is the next milestone :-)

Ragged Robin said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Andrew. The days that don't fulfill expectations make the ones that do that bit more special, I think :D

The Quacks of Life said...

as andrew says we all ave days like that. still the sun shone and you saw some nice birds.

I've been to brandon - some years back now tho.

Ragged Robin said...

It was a lovely sunny day and Brandon Marsh is such a beautiful place to walk it doesn't matter really if you don't see many species. Its a great place to visit to recharge the batteries and tbh I would have been lucky to see even one of the species I was looking for :D