Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Wednesday 6 April 2011

First Swallow, Orange Tip, Peacock and a "Fairy" Door

It felt like summer today it was so hot and walking round the garden this morning, I saw my first orange tip (a male) and peacock butterflies of the year. The orange tip didn't linger but the peacock was nectaring on blossom although it had disappeared by the time I had fetched my camera!

We've been looking at the pond after dark by torchlight and there are at least 7 common newts in there indulging in courtship/territorial behaviour. I haven't yet seen any frog tadpoles not sure if that is due to the cold frosty spell we had just after the spawn was laid or whether the newts have been busy eating them.

Went for a drive through local lanes at lunchtime today accompanied by my daughter. We saw loads of pheasants and quite a few red-legged partridges plus a pair of buzzards. Its lovely to see the blackthorn coming into flower. Stopped off for lunch at The Plough, Shustoke, to celebrate a promotion my daughter has just got at work. I resisted the temptation of a steakwich and onion bagette with cheesy chips and just had the chips whereas daughter decided on cheese and bacon burger plus the chips. Spotted my first swallow of the year flying around the village.

I just love the quirky features you can sometimes see in the British countryside. Last week whilst driving with my daughter she suddenly announced you've just gone past a "fairy door" in a tree. I drive along this particular road about 6 times a week and have certainly never seen a door in a tree. I took my camera the next day to check it out and sure enough, straight from an Enid Blyton tale, there was a "door to fairyland" at the base of a tree. In fact, you can tell how addicted I was to Enid Blyton when I was little because when my daughter (who is 20 by the way and someone else who has read most of the Blyton books!) asked "Did the door open?" I replied immediately "No, it was locked". Yes, I did try it!!

I'm not sure who put it there but its a lovely idea.







Garden Butterfly Species 2011 = 4

No comments: