Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Tuesday 10 May 2011

Mystery Pugs

I usually release the moths I trap within a few hours of capture after I have attempted to id and photograph them. However, I decided last night to keep the 3 pugs in the fridge overnight in the hope that I might be able to take photos today.

Well, they were still very lively this morning but I managed to get a few record shots before they flew off.

Pug 1 - its amazing the extra colours that appear on moths on a photo after cropping unless its a trick of the light/camera. My best guess for this one still remains as a common pug although I am probably hopelessly wrong!



Pug 2 - Although initially (using a magnifying glass) this species looked very similar to Pug 1 - in the photo the resemblance is not so clear! Nevertheless my best guess for this one is another common pug.



Pug 3 - This is the poor moth with most of its second wing missing - it was as lively as the other 2 though! From the markings that are present I suspect this may be a mottled pug.



If anyone can help with id of the above moths it would be much appreciated.

EDIT - Many thanks to Dean and Stewart for coming to the rescue and confirming my identifications that Pugs 1 and 2 are Common and Pug 3 is a mottled.

I rushed into the garden last night to capture what I thought was an unusual looking moth on the kitchen window attracted to the light. Once I got it inside I realised it was a caddis fly although in my defence (!) I believe they are quite closely related to moths. They differ from moths in having wings which are covered in minute hairs rather than scales and have biting mouthparts rather than a proboscis.
Sorry no photo, it flew out of the pot earlier today before I could press the shutter on the camera! It was even livelier than the pugs.

Blue Tit Update

The female is still incubating the eggs. She gets a very occasional visit in the nest box from the male bringing in a titbit. I was going to say that I hoped he proved a better provider when the young hatched but having read up on tit breeding it appears that the male also feeds the female during the times she is off the nest.

There were three young house sparrows being fed in the garden yesterday by the parent birds and I think greenfinches, chaffinches and starlings are breeding close by as all species are visiting the feeders far more regularly than during the winter months.

And here's a photo of "Sid the Snail". I spotted him in the sale when I was doing the supermarket shop this morning and just couldn't resist an impulse buy!!


6 comments:

Stewart said...

Hi, for what its worth I think the first two are both Common Pug and the last is Mottled Pug...but then again.. :)

Anonymous said...

I`d agree with no 1 being a Common & no 3 being a Mottled. Sorry i can`t help with the 2nd one though, Caroline. Pugs, hey!!!!

Ragged Robin said...

Hi Stewart and Dean

Thank you both so much for coming to my rescue -it really is greatly appreciated :D.

It looks as though great minds think alike! Neither pug appears on the GMS list for my area so I don't have to worry there! I will go with the common and mottled pug for my own year list.

I see that Amazon have a book for sale on pug id - "only" £29.50 :D. I might put it on my Christmas list!

Thanks again both for all your help.

Caroline

The Quacks of Life said...

personally I prefer Sid to the pugs :D

Ragged Robin said...

LOL!!! You won't be taking up moth trapping in the near future then Pete? :D

Ragged Robin said...

LOL!!! I take it you won't be taking up moth trapping any time soon, Pete :D