Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Monday 4 July 2011

A good haul of moths including a surprising micro

A very belated report on moths found in the trap on Sunday, 26th June. There were some beautiful moths and several not only new for the year but also new for the garden.

First up, a couple of lovely macro geometrids that look more like butterflies!

Swallow-tailed moth



Light Emerald - I was really pleased that Brian spotted this moth during the evening on the house wall just behind the trap. A first for the garden and what lovely colours.



Buff Arches - another new species for the year. Unfortunately, the photo doesn't do this gorgeous looking moth justice!



Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing - another new species for the garden



I have finally tracked down a guide via the GMS scheme to separating Heart and Dart from Heart and Club (Heart and Dart has a dark mark abve its eyes that looks like a flying bird!). Unfortunately this information was discovered after I had released the moth in the photo below. I suspect it may not be Heart and Dart and oh I still haven't found a good way to distinguish Heart and Club and Turnip! Any tips anyone?



And here's a photo of a pristine Heart and Dart - I will try and take one soon showing the dark facial mark.



Marbled Beauty - New for Year



Riband Wave




I struggled with the id of this moth (there seem to be an awful lot of similar looking species) but I think it is probably Dusky Brocade which would new for garden



I usually release most of the micros (unless they look like species on the GMS list) without attempting to id them as I have enough trouble with macros! But there were several very interesting looking species.

I think this is Brown China Mark which would be new for garden



If my id is correct I am really chuffed with this find. It appears to be Lozotaeniodes formosanus which is definitely new for garden. According to one website this species is usally found in Southern Britain in Scots Pine woodland although they have been recorded at light traps where no such trees are present. It was first recorded in Surrey in 1945. The nearest Scots Pine to me are about half a mile away.



I am less certain about this moth - I think it may be Dipleurina lacustrata. Sorry about the blurred photo but it wouldn't stop moving!



The species in the photo below nearly caught me out again - its not a moth but a caddis fly doing a moth impersonation!



As always if any of my identifications are incorrect please let me know and I would be really grateful if anyone could confirm id of any of my queries.

Summary of Moths trapped Sunday 26th June

10.00 until dawn Minimum temperature 16.2 degrees centigrade

15w Actinic Skinner Trap

Light Emerald x 1 NFG
Small Magpie x 1
Swallow-tailed Moth x 1 NFY
Riband Wave x 3
Uncertain x 22 (I've also found a good id feature on seperating this species from Rustics!)
Heart and Dart x 5
Scalloped Oak x 2
Buff Arches x 1 NFY
Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing x 2 NFG
Dark Arches x 4
Flame Shoulder x 1
Marbled Beauty x 1 NFY
Large Yellow Underwing x 1 NFY
Dusky Brocade ? x 1 Would be NFG

Bee Moth x 2
Lozotaeniodes formosanus x 1 NFG
Brown China Mark x 1 NFG
Dipleurina lacustrata ? x 1 NFG

Sorry about the lack of italics for latin names - I still can't find a way of getting the italic function in blogger to work.

No comments: