Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Thursday 14 July 2011

Summer at Castle Bromwich Hall Gardens

I managed to visit Castle Bromwich Hall Gardens for an hour on Tuesday afternoon and they are full of summer colour.

Courtyard by the Main Entrance



Borders near the main entrance by Lady Bridgeman's Garden










Its nice to see "old fashioned" fruits in the Gardens such as these greengages



Lady Bridgeman's Garden



I love pot marigolds (calendula) which are very attractive to insects and there are several borders full of these colourful flowers







My Lady's Border











Looking towards the Melon Ground



I seem to be seeing yucca's in flower everywhere (except my own garden!)



The Green House











Looking towards South-west Pier



North Orchard






Leaving the walled area of the Gardens I walked though Nut Ground towards the North Pond, home to Great Crested Newt. I had noticed from the Castle Bromwich Hall Gardens blog (please see link on the right under "My Blog List" ) that a moorhen had been seen recently on this pond. Sure enough there were a pair of adults (a new species to add to the list I have started of birds seen in the Gardens) and as I approached the pond I am sure I saw several youngsters diving for cover amongst the reeds.



Walking towards West Pond - quite a few butterflies around here (small and large whites, speckled wood and a ringlet - a new butterfly species for the Gardens).



West Pond looking along the West Claire-vole towards Castle Bromwich Hall



New Orchard



I spotted a willow warbler foraging for flies in the hedgerow adjacent to the orchard (another new species for the bird list). Sorry no bird pics I didn't have the right lens with me.

Several species of wildflower in the orchard - I am not sure if they have been planted or have occurred naturally but it was lovely to see a cornflower and harebells.







Re-entering the Walled Garden



The South Kitchen Garden now planted up with many varieties of vegetable and I love the way the Gardens mix flowers in with the vegetables



Parterres



Castle Bromwich Hall is in the process of being restored and turned into a boutique type hotel. I understand its due to open in September so I am hoping we can visit the restaurant for a meal and see how much it has changed from the visit I made last December when the Gardens organised Tours of the Hall before the renovation began, with kind permission of the new owner of the Hall.






I would certainly recommend a visit to these quiet and peaceful gardens. I try and visit most months of the year and there is always something to see whatever the season. Please see the Gardens website at www.cbhgt.org.uk for more information on opening hours and special events.

The Gardens have been restored in recent decades to the period 1680 - 1760 and there are over 600 species of historically correct plant.

2 comments:

The Quacks of Life said...

are the excitement of a new bird somewhere :D

is there a cafe? if so what's the cake like ;)

Ragged Robin said...

There is a cafe Pete but I am ashamed to admit I never seem to have time for tea and cake :D. May go with Emily who is on holiday in next week or two and she always insists on a visit to the cafe so I will let you know!

Have a great time in Yorkshire :D