Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Wednesday 14 September 2011

A Trip To the Theatre

David and I went to the Old Rep last night to see the Birmingham Repertory Theatre's "The Importance of Being Earnest" production.




Photo - courtesy of the Birmgham Repertory Theatre website


I thought it was an excellent production of this very funny satirial farce which looks at the shallowness and hypocrisy of the class-based Victorian society in which Oscar Wilde lived.

I particularly liked the scene where Lady Bracknell is questionning John (Ernest) Worthing who wants to marry her daughter, Gwendolen, about his future prospects and his origins.

I have a particular fondness for this play as it takes me back to my teenage years when our form (III 10) managed to win the coveted rose bowl at the schools' Drama Festival for our performance of the last Act of this play. Who will ever forget Mary C's brilliant performance as Lady Bracknell?! I'm only still in contact with a handful of people from my old school and I often wonder what happened to everyone else.

No comments: