Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Saturday 1 October 2011

Dahlia Splendour at Baddesley Clinton



Baddesley Clinton is a National Trust property in Warwickshire. The moated manor house was built in the late 1500's.

I always try and visit the gardens in September because there is a stunningly beautiful dahlia border.




The michaelmas daisies were putting on a good show in the walled garden too.





There were even flowers in the car park



Photos of the dahlias and border - sorry there's quite a lot (found it difficult to be selective!)

























I was lucky to find this bench empty as it is situated at one end of the dahlia bed and overlooks the rest of the walled garden



The walled garden was still a riot of colour and the scent of box, sweet peas and roses followed me everywhere

























A view of the side of the house and moat



I was hoping for a few butterflies in the hot sunny weather but I didn't see any although there were plenty of bees and hoverflies.

A pair of mallard were having a snooze in the afternoon heat but keeping one eye open to make sure I didn't get too close.








I only had an hour to spare so it was a very fleeting visit but if you want to see more photos of the house and grounds click on the Baddesley Clinton label on the right hand side of the blog.

This was my first visit of the year but I really must try and return in the near future as photos (without flash) are now allowed in the house, there is a church to visit and a new countryside walk which goes round the estate.

2 comments:

The Quacks of Life said...

lovely dahlia selection!

The ducks there are known to look for food by the cafe!

Ragged Robin said...

Thanks Pete.

I've noticed the ducks by the cafe when I've had tea and cake outside in the past! (plus the not so welcome wasps :D)