Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Monday 23 January 2012

A Field Full of Fieldfares and a Painting

I stopped off at Millennium Wood again this morning. I'd taken my camera in the hope that the redpolls might be about but there was no sign of them today. I did see a flock of mumruffins (long-tailed tits) but they were too far way to photograph. However, its the first time I've seen this species this year and a new addition to the Millennium Wood list of birds.

I went a quick drive this afternoon around the lanes near Wishaw. I was actually looking for Golden Plovers which have been seen in the area recently but there were none around. I did see a flock of several hundred fieldfare in a field - a superb sight. I did take a few embarrassingly poor photos (again they were too far away) which I'm not going to post!

Brian's recently retaken up painting after David bought him a new set of water colours and here's a photo of the result - a lovely reminder of our Isle of Wight holidays.
Unfortunately, the camera hasn't quite captured the exact colours but it will give you an idea.




I must admit I would love to be able to capture the natural world by this media. Brian says anyone can paint although I have tried to explain that I can still remember how relieved I was to be able to finally drop "O" level Art after receiving an absolutely abysmal mock exam result! I might have a go one day but I suspect it will make the paintings of a toddler look good!

7 comments:

Rohrerbot said...

Looks like a charming area:) Light has a lot to do with the color tones and I have found that contrast helps bring those colors out along with the highlight option.

Anonymous said...

Smart looking painting that, Caroline. Wish i was a bit on the artistic side.

Ragged Robin said...

Rohrerbot - thanks for those tips I'll try those next time and oh yes it is a lovely part of the country. Would move there tomorrow if I could :D

Dean - many thanks - glad you liked the painting. Its a skill I am very envious of!

Tricia Ryder said...

It really does look a pretty spot and, like you, I'd love to be able to paint like that.

I agree with Rohrerbot about a bit more contrast for enhancing the colours when needed.

My painting skills would make a new born look like Picasso!! Even my nephew, when he was 4 year's old, giggled when he saw my drawing of a tractor.. :D

The field of fieldfares sounds wonderful..

Ragged Robin said...

Thanks Tricia - I really ought to experiment more with photoshop - must admit the only editing of photos I tend to do is cropping when needed and thats done in the olympus software provided with the camera which is quite limited!

TBH - I think you can either paint or draw or you can't!

I love winter thrushes and en masse they are an even more wonderful sight.

The Quacks of Life said...

i seem to think the Trust shop at Brightstone has closed...

Ragged Robin said...

Thats a shame Pete. We didn't visit last year - Brian used the photo I took the year before.