Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Saturday 21 January 2012

Millennium Wood and a "Welcome" Sign

I'm still not having much time to go further afield but I did stop off at Millennium Wood last Thursday morning.

As I drove in the car park I was greeted by the sight of around 22 redpolls (still think they were all Lesser) feeding on birch seeds accompanied by the female bullfinch. For once, the sun was behind me and I did have the camera with me as I'd planned to photo the latest additions to the "fairy/gnome door" but, of course, I hadn't got the telephoto lens with me! So here is a distant view of the redpolls - if you click to enlarge you might just be able to make them out!




I saw the usual species whilst walking around and spotted a jay (new for year list and completely new for the Millennium Wood species list) again near the car park. The area of the wood around the car park and the part next to the entrance road and near mature oak trees is definitely the best place to see birds.


Just around the corner I stopped to take photos of the new additions to the door - a welcome sign and someone has left a fairy cake which has been placed next to the green wellies. Not sure if someone has left this as an offering to the tree's resident or whether it is part of the welcome!





A local paper - the "Solihull News" - has done a couple of short reports on the door so if anyone local (not sure to be honest how many locals visit my blog!) knows who is behind it please contact the paper or leave a comment on the posting.

No comments: