Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Tuesday 21 February 2012

Miniature Worlds



Apart from an initial attempt taking photos of daffodils and amber, I haven't got round again to trying out the new olympus macro lens I had for Christmas and Birthday. This morning I spent half an hour or so using it to take some pictures in the garden. I really wanted to find out if it was usable without a tripod! I experimented using different ISO's (400 and 800 as although the sun was trying to break through the light wasn't brilliant) and various wide apertures.

Using the lens (when I get the hang of it!) opens up a totally different world with clumps of moss and lichen looking like miniature forests.





Seedheads









Hazel Catkins

Female flowers (they always remind me of miniature sea anemones)



Male catkins doing an impersonation of lambs' tails



Primrose



Viola



I love the colours in this leaf



and a species of leaf miner on a bramble leaf



I really am going to have get my act together regarding focusing as the last photo shows although it does produce quite an interesting effect!



All in all I was quite pleased with the attempts although I think using a tripod would definitely improve results and I am going to have resort to more manual focusing I think or perhaps experiment with the different AF targets. One lesson I have learnt this morning is what a lot I still have to learn re: photography and my camera!

If anyone has any tips on taking photos with a macro lens I would love to hear them!

On a different note the lesser redpolls are still regularly using the garden pond for bathing and drinking.

And on a completely different subject I know that many other bloggers as well as myself are having problems with Blogger's new word verification. I did turn mine off for a while but found I was getting lots of weird looking spam so reluctantly I have turned it back on. I am just hoping that, with the problems it is causing, Blogger will reinstate the original version. So apologies in advance if you are trying to leave a comment and have problems!

8 comments:

Rohrerbot said...

Love the macro shots. I've always wanted to try one of those terrariums. I know they're easy to put together but your shots remind me of these miniature little worlds.

Ragged Robin said...

Thanks Chris.

We planted a terrarium years ago when they were all the rage and called "bottle gardens" and it was great fun. They look very pretty too.

Anonymous said...

Nice set of macro shots, Caroline. Keep at it.
I prefer using macro to any other ie : landscape & telephoto.

Ragged Robin said...

Glad you like the photos Dean and many thanks for the encouragement :D.

I think the macro will provide the most fun and will leave room for creativity (hopefully!). Landscape is my least favourite as the camera really struggles with grey skies.

The Quacks of Life said...

nice shots Caroline. most cameras struggle with grey skies!!

Ragged Robin said...

Glad you liked the photos Pete and thanks for the reassurance re: cameras and grey skies :D!.

I gather a graduated natural density filter helps (hope I've got the name right!).

Dartford Warbler said...

I do envy you the macro lens. I love observing the smallest details of nature and my Canon Powershot is a good all-rounder, but not brilliant at the small or the distant.

Lovely photos. Especially the red hawthorn flower buds and catkins.

Ragged Robin said...

Thanks Dartford Warbler - glad you like the macro shots.

I am pleased with the lens but the only problem with interchangeable lenses is that I can't face carrying a bag full of lens when I go out and have to decide which one would be the best to take with me!

The smallest details of nature are fascinating - I often go round the garden with a magnifying glass and hand lens! I would really love a microscope!