Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Saturday 24 March 2012

More of the same plus one new "tick" for the Year

It was around 11.4 degrees centigrade when I set up the moth trap at 6.30 pm. last night with the temperature eventually falling to 3.2 degrees centigrade.

Apart from a dozy looking wasp there were just 3 moths in the trap this morning - two Hebrew Characters and one of the smaller "micro" moths - Light Brown Apple Moth which is the first one I've seen this year. I did try and take a photo but it flew off as I was trying to pot it so here's yet another picture of a Hebrew Character!




Summary of Moths Trapped Friday, 23rd March
GMS Week 4

6.30p.m. until dawn
Minimum temperature 3.2 degrees centigrade
15w Actinic Skinner Trap

Hebrew Character x 2

Light Brown Apple Moth x 1 (NFY)

2012 Moth Species = 9



I'll run the trap again tonight in the hope of catching something a bit different!

4 comments:

Rohrerbot said...

It does sound like a lot of fun when you keep track of it all. Hope something new flies your way. Chris:)

Ragged Robin said...

Many thanks Chris - just been out to check the trap and it looks totally empty :D!!

ShySongbird said...

I think the names are as fascinating as the moths themselves. Hebrew Character is a good one but my all time favourite which I first encountered a couple of years ago on Dean's blog is Timothy Tortrix :-) If memory serves me right though, it isn't anywhere near as impressive looking as its name would suggest!

Ragged Robin said...

ShySongbird - I do so agree about how brilliant the names are. Timothy Tortix is a superb example :D I wish someone would write a book all about moth names and how they came by them.