Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Saturday 14 April 2012

Millennium Wood and Fairy Door





I haven't been to Millennium Wood for a while so I stopped off yesterday morning for a quick walk. Its only a small nature reserve covering 10 acres and takes about 20 minutes to walk around. It was planted in the year 2000 with over 9000 trees and shrubs and the habitat includes grassland, heath, shrubs and woodland.




There are hundreds of silver birches on site and I was hoping (probably rather optimistically!) that there might be orange underwing moths about and possibly even a summer visitor like a chiffchaff!



It was very quiet though wildlife wise - certainly no moths or butterflies and the only birds showing were the inevitable blackbirds, blue tits, wood pigeons and magpies. Still it was a nice stroll in the Spring sunshine.



The Fairy Door in an oak tree not far away has had yet more additions!



To be honest I preferred it less adorned when it looked like this!

6 comments:

kirstallcreatures said...

Thats so funny, I love the fairy door!

Ragged Robin said...

Kirstallcreatures - The Fairy Door is just great - glad you like it! The various "decorations" have been added bit by bit over the last year - but in recent months items have been added almost weekly!

Rohrerbot said...

Very cool. I love when fairies do this to trees...just as long as they don't ruin the trees;) But it seems they do a good job avoiding hurting the trunk. Magical they are:) Beautiful spots captured by the camera. It's funny....some people have ponds that I admire, others have incredible gardens, etc etc...but your whole area is interesting with a lot of history. I like that a lot. Thanks for sharing.

Ragged Robin said...

Chris - Many thanks for such a lovely comment. The "doorway" is a natural feature of the tree so I'm pretty sure no damage is being done. I'm so glad you find the area interesting and enjoy the posts!

Anonymous said...

That is such a pretty little door, especially when 'unadorned'.

Does it really only take 2 minutes to walk around ten acres? That really ssurprises me.

Ragged Robin said...

Toffeeapple - LOL!!! A typing mistake - I meant 20 minutes! I read it through 3 times before publishing it as well! Glad you like the door!