Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Saturday 7 April 2012

Moths (or Lack Of - Yet Again!) and Garden Birds

GMS Week 6

I put the moth trap out on Thursday night but, with a minimum temperature of minus 2.3 degrees centigrade and clear skies with a nearly Full Moon, I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised to find that for the second week running the moth trap was empty!

Garden Birds

The wren is still taking feathers into the hanging basket - it will be interesting to see if this nest location gets picked again this year. It was last used two years ago but last year the nest the male built in the ivy was used.

The male robin is still "courtship feeding" the female and the robin below has started to appear at the back door looking for mealworms whenever I go in the garage. I suspect it may be the very tame robin that used to feed from the hand because whenever he saw me in the kitchen or garage he used to appear close to the windows just like this bird has started to do. The photo was taken with the 14-42mm lens and, although it is cropped you can see how close, the bird was.




This morning we checked out the nestbox camera which links into the tv and one of the blue tits (the female?) has started taking in nesting material. Here's a very record shot of the action.



By teatime the bird had removed all the nesting material but this happened last year for weeks on end. Grass would be placed in the box daily and then regularly moved out until a few days before she began laying eggs when she completed the nest very quickly.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely shot of the Robin, Caroline. A species i very rarely get a photo of.

Ragged Robin said...

Dean - many thanks!

ShySongbird said...

Lovely Robin Photo! It must be amazing to have one eat from your hand. I have one that waits by the shed door while I am filling the feeders, I'm sure he'll hop inside and join me one of these days :-)

Good luck with the nesting.

Wishing you a Happy Easter!

Ragged Robin said...

ShySongbird

Many Thanks. Robins are remarkably easy to tame and to get them to feed from the hand. They will do anything for a mealworm especially when breeding! You just need to throw mealworms nearby (such as when yours is by the shed door) and gradually put mealworms closer to yourself and finally after a few days put some on your hand and hold it out. (Some are tamer though than others the first one was by far the tamest and was around for about 5 years! and obviously (although I know you would do this) you still give them mealworms even if they won't come on your hand!) Sometimes it takes several attempts before they will pluck up the courage.

I haven't got any mealworms in at the moment to check if this one would come on my hand - I must admit I don't buy them as often as I used to as they have become very expensive. Although I will buy some when I think there are young nestlings about to help the parents.

Very Happy Easter to you too.

Anonymous said...

It is lovely to see your Robin and to think that you can hand feed them is wonderful. The Blue Tits seem to take an age to build the nest.

Ragged Robin said...

Toffeeapple - Many thanks. The Blue Tit saga continues today - more nesting material in and then removed! Looking at the previous 2 years records (since we had the nestbox camera) - its only when feathers are added to line the nest and the female starts to roost in the box overnight that egg laying is imminent! Its such a privilege to be able to watch them.

Ian said...

Great photo of the robin and so nice to be able to get right up close for the shot.

Ragged Robin said...

Ian - Many thanks.

Rohrerbot said...

Hello there!:) I made it back in one piece from the trip. It's good to have full internet access again. Hope you had a good weekend. I like these bird cams that everyone has....what a great way to watch and not disturb the nesting area. And that close up on the Robin is beautiful. I laugh when I think of the Robins between your area and the US. Our Robins are not at all dainty...they're larger and more "full" like most Americans:) Great shots.

Ragged Robin said...

Hello Chris! :) Glad you are back safe and sound - hope you had a great trip! Must admit I miss the internet when away if I can't access it! Glad you like the robin photo. We are lucky here that they are so tame (but different to your robin species!). I understand in Europe they are the same species but more woodland species and far less tame.