Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Tuesday 22 May 2012

Yippee - a Macro! plus a Trip to a Concert

There are still not exactly many moths coming to the moth trap which I've run the last two nights. Monday's minimum overnight temperature was 8.4 degrees centigrade and Sunday night's 8.5 degrees centigrade.

The only moth trapped was on Sunday night:

2289 Knot Grass Acronicta rumicis one of the noctuid moths.(I think I may have finally got the italics on Blogger to work as I'm typing this in Google Chrome having got fed up with Internet Explorer refusing to operate "pop-ups" without pushing the control button!) Edit - Sadly on publishing the italics still don't work!

The moth looked in rather pristine condition to me.




I hope I've got the id correct - as ever with the moth world there is a (to my eyes) similar species of Poplar Grey - please feel free, as always, to leave a comment if I am incorrect.

I've compared the last two previous years moth records with this year and the number of species trapped is way down this year

2010 21 species caught by 22nd May
2011 20 species caught by 22nd May

2012 13 species



Blue Tit Update

Just to let everyone know the 2 nestlings are growing albeit slowly! and are covered in a fine down.

Mugenkyo Taiko Drummers Concert

David got tickets for the above concert last night held at the Solihull Arts Complex (and just to think I might have persuaded Brian to take a trip to Ladywalk NR where a Nightjar had been seen - this would have been not just a Warwickshire tick but a lifer for me too!). I digress....


David was based at his Company's Solihull office yesterday which is only a few hundred yards from the theatre so, for once, we were able to have a meal instead of trying to eat cheese salad rolls in the car en route. We had a rather nice Veggie pizza and coleslaw salad at Pizza Express in Touchwood.

Taiko Drumming is a traditional Japanese performing art and the Mugenkyo Taiko Drummers are the only European touring professional Taiko group and the UK's longest established group. The group were accompanied on some of their pieces by Nobuko Miyazaki - a brilliant flutist. I thoroughly enjoyed the performance and as their programme says the concert lived up to their name of providing "limitless reverberation"!

7 comments:

Rohrerbot said...

Sounds like a lot of fun:) I love concerts and wish we went to more of them. Just don't always have the time and money to do it....especially after being the weeks bird seed:) I'd love to send you some of our moths....there are so many floating around here. I look at them and think...it's a moth. They are difficult to distinguish from one another....it's similiar to my "brown" bird issue:) Everything has value but it's the detail!!! Hope you find more! Veggie pizza sounds delish right now!!!

Omi said...

Lovely moth :) I'm just off to bed, but now I want pizza! :/ Glad to hear the babies are growing.

Ragged Robin said...

Chris - I am lucky with the theatre and concerts as David gets tickets through his job - much as I enjoy going if I had to pay I wouldn't be going very often! Too expensive and, as you say, things like bird food eat into income.

I would love to see some of your moths - I have a real issue with the "little brown jobs" of the moth world too - as you may have gathered :)

Omi - Many thanks. The pizza was a new one (Pizza Giardiniera) and very tasty :)

ShySongbird said...

A rather smart looking moth I think Caroline.

Good to hear the Blue Tits are progressing well!

The concert sounded interesting. I didn't recognise their name but on looking them up found they had performed near me some years ago. We used to go to the theatre fairly often but find we are reluctant to prise ourselves out in the evenings recently and of course as you and Chris said it can be pricy.

Ragged Robin said...

ShySongbird - Many thanks. The concert was much better than I thought it might be :) I think the group have an HQ, possibly in Scotland?, and they run workshops and so forth.

I must admit, apart from the concerts and meals on family birthdays, we don't go out at night these days.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like an exciting concert, is the drumming like Kodo drumming?

Ragged Robin said...

Toffeeapple - I hadn't heard of Kodo drumming but I've just googled it and it looks like exactly the same thing:) It was very good and well choreographed too!