Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Thursday 21 June 2012

A Few More Moths

Monday night's moth trapping session (minimum temperature 8.8 degrees centigrade) produced a few more moths - several new for this year and one possible new garden tick.

Bright-Line Brown-Eye (New for Year)



Dark Arches (New for Year)



Common Marbled Carpet (New for Year)



Angle Shades - I know I've posted a photo of this species before but I couldn't resist doing so again as its one of my favourite moths!



Bee Moth - again another photo of this species but I love the green colouration on this particular individual



Clouded Brindle ???? (this would be a new species for the garden IF! my id is correct)

Edit - Huge thanks to Bennyboymothman (see comment below) for identifying this moth for me - its Dusky Brocade. Still a new species for the garden.



I thought I would never get the chance to id the next moth as every time I opened the pot it was a blur of wings and I had to chase it across the kitchen several times



but eventually it kept still for just a few seconds - I think its another Common Marbled Carpet




As always, please let me know if any of my id's are incorrect or if you could confirm the Clouded Brindle - I really do appreciate all the help I've been given :)

Summary of Moth Trapping Session - Monday 18th June

Minimum Temperature 8.8 degrees centigrade

15w Actinic Skinner Trap


2160 Bright-line Brown-eye (Lacanobia oleracea) x 1 (NFY)

2321 Dark Arches (Apamea monoglypha) x 1 (NFY)

0998 Light Brown Apple Moth (Epiphyas postvittana) x 1

1764 Common Marbled Carpet (Chlorobysta truncata) x 2 (?) (NFY

1428 Bee Moth (Aphomia sociella) x 1

2327 Clouded Brindle (Apamea epomidion) x 1??? (would be NFG)
Edit This moth is actually Dusky Brocade x 1 (still NFG!) Thanks due to Bennyboymothman

2306 Angle Shades (Phlogophora meticulosa) x 1



I've been watching the pond by torchlight on several occasions this week - its amazing how many dragonfly larvae I can see and there are least 6 or 7 Common/Smooth Newts (nowhere near as many as last year). Since seeing my first Tree Bumble Bee a few months ago I am now seeing them all the time - I have released 3 from the garage in the last week!

7 comments:

kirstallcreatures said...

You seem to be having greater success with your moth trap as the weeks go on. Although I can't offer any advice I do enjoy keeping up to date with your sightings.

Bennyboymothman said...

Dusky Brocade for the Noctuid.

Ragged Robin said...

Kirstallcreatures - Many thanks Linda. Hopefully when the weather eventually gets warmer I will be inundated :)

Bennyboymothman - Thanks so much for identifying my moth for me. I've found it now in my concise version of the "bible" - I should have spotted that as its on the line below Clouded Brindle :) Your help is really appreciated.

ShySongbird said...

A nice selection of moths there Caroline. I'm glad you are starting to see a few more, I assume this weather has been as unkind to them as it has to butterflies.

The play sounded interesting. The origami aspect sounds really intriguing and different!

Ragged Robin said...

ShySongbird - Many thanks Jan. I think you are right about weather affecting moths as well as the butterflies. I still haven't seen a butterfly in the garden for weeks now.

The best part of the origami in the play was a cute origami peacock!

Omi said...

The Angle Shades is incredible! I love the names that Moths are given. Many could be character names in a book such as Lord of the Rings!

Ragged Robin said...

Omi - I think it was the incredible moth names that first got me interested - along with attending a few moth nights at local NR's when the children were younger. As far as I can see there is no book available that explains how they all got their names which is a shame.

Angle Shades is a lovely moth. Although I know there are a lot of moth lbj's some of them are even more beautiful than butterflies I think.