Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Monday 16 March 2015

Frogspawn and a few more Moths



Frogs have been moving around in the pond for at least the last 10 days and there was a lot more activity last Friday and by lunchtime the first frogspawn had appeared



It was difficult to get many photos as the frogs were still very nervy and dived for cover frequently.


Early on Saturday morning the yearly frog "orgy" was well and truly underway with a mass of frogs - sadly it was too dark and gloomy to get photos but there were many more clumps of frogspawn by nine a.m.




GMS Week 2 Friday, 13th March

Min Temp 2.5

Only two moths but one new for year!

Hebrew Character (Orthosia gothica) x 1

Clouded Drab (Orthosia incerta) x 1 NFY

Worn Clouded Drab




I've managed to id the micro from last weekend's trapping session - Agonopterix heracliana agg. This species is very similar to A ciliella - they can only be reliably separated by dissection - a route I have no wish to go down!! Not only a new species for the year but also new for the garden.

Sorry really blurred photo of the micro (heavily cropped)



This brings current total year list to 8.




Thanks to Dave and Ian (on Twitter) for id confirmation.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is the best picture of a frog I've ever seen- he/ she is smiling! We have the same moths at the mo- not surprising really, given the weather and time of year. Well done on your new micro :o)

Ragged Robin said...

Countryside Tales - Thanks so much CT :) Glad you liked the frog photo :) Rather cute I thought!! :)

Yet again have told myself I will have a serious attempt at micro id this year but I suspect the resolution will not last long! So many are so small and so similar!! Easier at this time of the year when there aren't so many about!

Rohrerbot said...

Hope you have lots of frogs!!! Very exciting. We don't have this cool critter around our yard....no water:)

Ragged Robin said...

Chris Rohrer - Thanks Chris - certainly lots of spawn laid so should have many tadpoles in a few weeks :)

SeagullSuzie said...

Sorry I'm a bit late to this post. I must find a spot for a pond in this new garden-it'll have to be small, but seeing your photos has made me want these lovely creatures about. I was just building up a number of them in my last garden, so will have to start all over again.

Ragged Robin said...

SeagullSuzie - Absolutely no need to apologise Suzie - I know how busy you are at the moment.

Its worth putting in a pond, however, tiny. The children had little gardens of their own when they were young. My son had a very miniature pond about one foot square if that in his and he used to get frogspawn in that!

I hope your husband's recovery continues well and that you get the odd moment to yourself.