Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Thursday 13 October 2016

Baddesley Clinton - Part 2: Walled and Kitchen Gardens and Scarecrows









When we visited Baddesley Clinton a few weeks ago there was still plenty of colour (in addition to the dahlias) in the walled garden.

























This tumbledown shed was covered in ivy and ivy flowers which were attracting many bees and hoverflies.







The scarecrow display in the kitchen garden had a Shakespeare theme this year.


















Autumn is on the way - hawthorn, holly and pyracantha berries








Some of the apple trees have huge clumps of mistletoe.












Coffee and Walnut Cake before we left :)





For Wendy - in reply to your comment in the Baddesley dahlia post these are the type of dahlias I was referring to which may be better for bees? The second photo was taken on a previous visit and the flower was attracting butterflies :)




11 comments:

Wendy said...

Thanks so much Caroline. I love the colour of the dahlia with the butterfly, too. You're right about the pom pom dahlias; bees are only interested in the open flowers.
Scarecrows often make me smile and these are great with wonderful names. I used to love walking my dog past any; he could never work them out!
Lovely photos of the flowers and it's great to see when ivy has been left for the bees and other insects.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

A lovely garden to wander round and those scarecrows are very creative adn I am sure do the job. Love the butterfly shots also

Ragged Robin said...

Wendy - Thanks so much. Baddesley didn't seem to have so many of the "zinnia" type dahlias this year but I have noticed in the past how much they attract pollinators.
We seem to have a lot of Scarecrow events round here in various villages - seem to have taken off in recent years. Some are so imaginative and creative - I am not surprised your dog was so puzzled by them all and I always try not to think of the Dr Who episode that feature them! :)

Margaret Adamson - Thanks Margaret - the two local NT properties do have lovely gardens and BC has a scarecrow display each year - lovely for children :)

Rosie said...

Wonderful autumnal photos and I love the Shakespeare themed scarecrows. Did you spot Tommy or Bella? I've visited a couple of times but never seen them. The coffee and walnut cake looks delicious:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - I do hope you are ok - I was so very sorry to read your sad news and you have been in my thoughts ever since I read your blog post. Please accept my condolences at this very difficult time.

In all the times I've visited I think I have seen just one cat there - near the compost heap in the vegetable garden! Cake was nice but I am coming to the conclusion I am not a lover of too much butter cream and sponge!

CherryPie said...

I can see that I need to visit in September it seems an optimum time for the colours :-)

You are also tempting me with my favourite cake!

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thanks so much - September is definitely a good time to visit - it is worth it just for the dahlia bed alone :) The house looks good at Christmas too - when they "dress" the house. Will try and go this December.

Amanda Peters said...

What a lovely place, how different things have changed in just a few weeks , so lovely to see all the flowers. Love the Scarecrows too.
Amanda xx

Ragged Robin said...

Amanda Peters - Thanks Amanda - I do like Baddesley Clinton. It and Packwood House are the closest NT properties to us and always worth a visit :) In fact, it was featured on the Antiques Roadshow last weekend (I kept well away that day #busy!!!)

Rosie said...

Thank you for your kind words and condolences we have the funeral tomorrow over in Nottinghamshire - it has been a long wait for the coroner and etc and has been hard for his family to come to terms with their sudden loss:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thank you. I will be thinking of you tomorrow - such a sad time for all involved - his family must be devastated.