Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Tuesday 30 May 2017

Baddesley Clinton - Part 2: Lake and Woodland Walk and Walled Garden



After looking round the house I decided to walk through the woods and round the lake (continuing to seek shade!!)



One of the Stew Ponds - in Medieval times these provided fish for the household.



This beautiful carved seat commemorates a local teacher - Mary Fitter



Over the bridge to the woodland walk - the woods were planted in the 19th century as pleasure grounds.


Herb Robert in flower



The walk then continues round the Great Pool - believed to have once been a mill pond.







The wildflower meadow will look a picture in a few weeks as it is full of Yellow Rattle.






Then onto the Walled Garden which was created in the 18th century.
















Time for tea and cappucino cake in the tea room - although I have to say the cake to me seemed a little dry.



One of the Baddesley Clinton cats - either Tommy or Bella.


A quick look round the shop - this NT Scones book is very good and full of delicious recipes to try at home.




Then a look round the secondhand bookshop and I couldn't resist this - I am determined, when I have more time, to have another go at painting wild flowers.



Another field full of buttercups at the side of the drive.







12 comments:

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

It,s another very pretty spot, love the carved seat.

CherryPie said...

I have enjoyed your journey around Baddesley Clinton. It was on my list to visit this weekend but we didn't quite get around to it.

Ragged Robin said...

Simon Douglas Thompson - Thanks Simon - I sat awhile on the carved seat :)

CherryPie - Thank you. Hope you get to visit soon - probably best avoided anyway bank holiday weekend as it gets so very busy there :(

Rosie said...

It all looks lovely, the wildflower meadow will be wonderful and the walled garden already is. Tea and cake are just what's needed after your visit and I love those second hand book shops most properties seem to have now. I've seen the scone book I think by the NT Scones blogger, I'm tempted to treat myself to it one day. Love the puss cat too:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much Rosie. Must admit I did buy the scones book when I was at Calke - yes it is by the NTScones blogger - has snippets of her visits to properties and lots and lots of recipes. Have had bad eczema on my hands so haven't been able to try any yet but there are some delicious looking ideas :)

Pam said...

Isn't the seat wonderful! I like how they were called pleasure grounds, quite descriptive!

Ragged Robin said...

Pam Thanks - yes it is!! :) It is a great title - I always have visions of ladies in 19th century dress taking the air!!!

Midmarsh John said...

Looks to be another grand place for a day out. Think I would take a cushion before using the stone seat.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Most unusual to have dry cake at an NT tea room! I used to use the quality of the tea rooms as a selling point when I worked for the NT. Oh, the NT bookshop always gets me in the wallet, and a whole book just devoted to scones {darts off to nearest high street NT shop!}
Loved the visit, once again, thank you!

Ragged Robin said...

Midmarsh John - Thank you John. Ha ha re: the cushion. Must admit 10 minutes was long enough to sit there! :)

Deborah RusticPumpkin. Thanks so much. Have had dry cakes at that tea room before. Perhaps it is just me being over fussy!! There are some super recipes in that book. Worth looking at!!

Amanda Peters said...

Managed to read through your posts, the visit to Baddesley Clinton is lovely, you have some lovely photos...enjoyed looking through.
Amanda xx

Ragged Robin said...

Amanda Peters - Thanks so much Amanda - so glad you enjoyed the posts :)