Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Thursday 31 August 2017

Visit to the Gardens at Packwood House



I had a day-out with a friend last week and we decided to visit Packwood House. After lunch of a cheese sandwich and flapjack (my friend had the soup of the day) in the tea-room, we walked round the gardens which are particularly lovely.








Into the Carolean walled garden



The "Yellow" border is full of perennials using a colour combination of pink, yellow, scarlet, carmine and lavender.





The Rose Bays









The Sunken Garden
























The Raised Terrace Walk where the borders are planted with "hot" colours.

















Views towards the house and Yew Garden













The Kitchen Garden







The "Pizza Garden" planted by children from Dorridge Primary School














Many thanks to J for her company.



14 comments:

Rosie said...

I love all the richness and colours of this time of year and your photos capture that. It looks like you had a lovely day out and lunch with your friend. The gardens are looking wonderful at the moment:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. I always find Packwood Gardens rather special even though I must have been dozens of times. Dahlia time now at Baddesley Clinton will try and get there this month :)

Anonymous said...

It all looked rather splendid, didn't it? Glad you enjoyed your lunch and the day.

Ragged Robin said...

Toffeeapple - Thank you and yes it does :) I really love it there.

Pam said...

Lovely photos :) Your posts always make me want to visit places......and eat!!

Ragged Robin said...

Pam - Oh thanks so much for your lovely comment :)

Caroline Gill said...

What stunning flower borders, RR, and not dissimilar to the herbaceous border at Oxburgh in terms of the planting scheme. It sounded as though you had a brilliant day - and the photos make me think the weather was kind. Thank you for your kind comment - I have begun to tag my butterfly pics. so will probably post the ones I have found (and add in as I go along). Lightroom, where I store my photos, opens so slowly on my laptop that it may take a while...

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill - Thanks so much Caroline. We were very lucky with the weather - it threatened rain several times but it held off!! Good Luck with the butterfly photo sorting - I know these things take ages but it will be worth it in the end :)

Amanda Peters said...

It is such a stunning place and a joy to see, the borders are so full of flowers, have to say I do like the old brick work. The weather has been quite good lately, not to hot.So good for looking round gardens.
Stunning set of photos too.
Amanda xx

Ragged Robin said...

Amanda Peters - Thanks so much Amanda. Yes, there is some lovely old brick work there and a great selection of sundials too - one visit I will try and take pictures of them all. Temperatures are much better now :) I do like September :)

Rustic Pumpkin said...

What beautiful Autumn shades in the borders! Absolutely stunning.

Ragged Robin said...

Deborah RusticPumpkin - Thanks so much. Gardens there were looking rather lovely :)

Bovey Belle said...

Thankyou for so many wonderful photographs of a stunning garden. The house looks nice too. We are a bit short of a) houses to visit and b) beautiful gardens ditto in these parts, but we DO have wonderful beaches, coastlines and mountains so I mustn't complain.

Ragged Robin said...

Bovey Belle - Thank you. I must admit when we have considered moving to the Isle of Wight have thought I would miss all the houses and gardens around here or fairly local. IofW does have Osborne House and Mottistone Manor and Ventnor Botanical Gardens though. Plus I would gain downland, coastline, estuaries and beaches which are wonderful as you say! Swings and roundabouts really :)